The Red Door / San Diego, California
Trish's backyard, hillside garden. She grows about 7000 pounds of her restaurant's produce herself!
This is not a vegan dish but Chef Miguel used a cashew cream sauce. Love seeing nut milk integrated solely because it's...delicious!
The layout, decor and light is lovely at The Red Door.
A view of Trish's beautiful garden.
Turnip pasta. This was incredibly delicious, healthy and a super creative way to use turnips! Spiralized as pasta.👏🏻
The Red Door
Wow, this is the most prime example I have seen of really, REALLY local farm-to-table. Or, in The Red Door's case, garden-to-table. The owner, Trish Watlington, grows about 7000 lbs of the restaurant's produce in her own garden just twenty minutes from the restaurant. Her chef, Miguel Valdez, works to use up every bit of the plants in non-threatening and creative ways. A shining example of how to do the slow food / real food / local food thing the best it can be. I feel honored to have been able to chat with Trish, tour her garden and experience The Red Door's food.
• It doesn't get fresher at a restaurant than produce grown by the owner
• Cozy, refined bistro setting that is so welcoming
• Veggies, nut milks, healthier ingredients are integrated across the whole menu without being fussy or particular about it. This is just...great food.
• These people truly care about offering clean, sustainable food.
MY FAVES :
• Turnip pasta. Whoa.
• Terrific wine list.
• Super seasonal, regional menu that changes as it needs to with available ingredients
The Red Door
741 W. Washington Street, San Diego, CA 92103